- Axis, the motorised mount for smartphones will be available in India soon.
- The device (with a tripod) helps in capturing virtual tours without the need of expensive equipment.
- Can be used with the Starter subscription plan (5 spaces) that costs around ₹ 750 per month.
If you have tried to scan your home or office using your smartphone (and the Matterport Free subscription plan), you might have noticed that it took a few attempts to get it right. This is because of the way we intuitively spin around, therby creating misalignments with the AI.
One alternative was to use a tripod as a pivot point to capture the entire panorama. Now, the Axis will manage the entire capture without you having to use your hands. This means professional-level accuracy and just 17-20 seconds per scan.
Note that you will also need a tripod to use Axis. However, it is not necessary to go for Aluminum or Carbon Fibre accessories, just pick up something basic from Amazon India. The cool part about Axis is that it comes with a physical remote – this means that you can hide behind a wall and remotely initiate the scan.
Axis vs Allies
To better understand the value of the Axis, we compare it with the Matterport Pro2 and a 360 degree camera like the Ricoh Theta Z1.
- Can be carried along in a backpack with the foldable tripod. Not as heavy or bulky like the Pro2.
- Very cost-effective, to cater to the masses, considering the exponential increase of smartphone penetration in India, including rural areas.
- Comes bundled with a physical remote control.
- No obligation to purchase the Professional subscription plan or higher. Users can upgrade anytime.
- Makes use of the LiDAR feature in certain flagship smartphones.
- When businesses request paid virtual tours, they expect the quality from a Pro2 or BLK360.
- Axis needs intital calibration and setup, which can be learnt from the videos below.
- Axis is not something that can be carried in your pocket, as opposed to a Ricoh Theta.
- This is not a gimbal for cinematic shoots. The Axis is designed for Matterport virtual tours exclusively.
That Learning Curve
Whether it is a professional scanner, 360 degree camera or a mobile device, getting a virtual tour right takes some experience. With clean dollhouses, Mattertags and smooth alignments, it gets easier to demo or sell to a prospective client.
We strongly suggest enthisiasts to go through the Matterport Academy articles and videos to familiarise themselves with the processes. Currently we do not have a formal training routine for our Pro2 customers, but might start one by March, when we get the stock.
For businesses who want virtual tours (using the Pro2 or BLK360) for thier marketing needs, contact us anytime. We offer flat rates across India and it includes hosting and full-frame DSLR images.
For everyone else thinking of getting a start with their smarphones, it is recommeneded they download the Capture app, and use the free plan for now. The app also contains learning materials that you can go through until you purchase the Axis. Here are some videos on how to use this mount:
As always, contact us for any questions at all. Stay safe!